Thursday, August 23, 2007

Joygasm

My mother is responsible for adding this word to my vocabulary.


So I was at this wonderful event last night, a joint event for the Urban Fashion Network and DIFFA, which took place at the W in Seattle.


KUDOS TO THE CHEF!!!

The appetizers were amazing, but one made me literally drool. (Just ask my new friend Marlo's boyfriend, who didn't really get what got into us.) It was a piece of duck resting over a several champagne grapes, on one of those (what are they called?) white Asian soup spoons. At first I was worried I could get the whole spoon in my mouth, but OH MY GOD I am so glad I went for it. This duck, I don't know what it was marinated in, was so moist and rich, and buttery, and perfectly seasoned that I don't even know how to begin to describe it. And for a girl who normally keeps her sweets and savories separate, I was happily surprised that those little champagne grapes added the perfect little burst of sweetness.

So what does a girl do? Of course, google the W in hopes that they have some recipes published online, or at least maybe a cookbook for sale. And when rejected online, call up the W and nicely beg. Well, of course, the recipe is a "closely guarded secret, so [I] will just have to come bacak and visit [them]." And, of course, their menu is on a monthly rotating basis, and often the preparation varies from day to day.

What does this mean? I will never be able to have this exact bite of heaven ever again, because I am not blessed with taste buds that let me discern what 11 special spices marinated that duck.


Le sigh. I suppose lots of butter can never hurt.


However, this little disappointment can't sour my opinion of last night, because I really excited about the Urban Fashion Network and DIFFA. Looks like I found some like-minded people in Seattle! Hopeully, I'll be able to become involved with them over the next couple months.



On a different topic, thanks to Marlo for telling me about this event
last night. She's one of the coolest people I've met in a while, and a
fellow etsy seller. Her etsy chosen name, imakecutestuff, is a pretty accurate description. She sells sunny tote bags, pincushions with personality, and fun stamped jewelry.

On her own website, MarloM, she shows off her skills as a jewelery designer, making gorgeous custom and original pieces.

My favorites are from her seedlings line. Here's a picture of some of her shadowbox jewelry:
Yeah, I know. I want it too.


4 comments:

IMakeCuteStuff (aka Marlo M.) said...

Kimberly! I'm STILL dreaming of that champagne duck! We really do have to figure out when they're going to be making that again so we can go there again! Thank you soooo much for blogging about my work -- I'm sorry I took so long to comment... :/
Hope to see you at First Thursday!

Beth Lisa Goss, Wire Tree said...

Ugh, now I'm really bummed I couldn't go! AND, I have to miss first thursday too. Don't know when I'll ever meet you Kimberly.

kimberly@stir said...

Marlo, we should have a cooking party and try to reproduce it!

Awww, Beth, it was fun, but there will be more like this I'm sure.

I plan on being a social little monkey :-)

Unknown said...

I'll never get to taste the duck either...rats! I was happy before...but now....